Mold health hazards

Mold Symptoms

Mold exposure may cause various health problems including different kinds of allergic and toxic reactions. The symptoms of mold related health damage can be either short or long term.

When it comes to some long term symptoms, the most important ones include chronic and unexplained pains. If you do not suffer from any serious or even minor illness, such symptoms like persistent headache or chronic fatigue should alarm you. In rare circumstances, symptoms may include nervous system disorder and even depression.

Taking short term symptoms into consideration, there are several signs of toxic mold exposure. The most common are breathing difficulties, different rashes and skin irritations, eye soreness and redness, sensitivity to light, coughing. Some cases may also include unexplained headaches.

Those who are most at risk are patients with weakened immune system, children and babies, the elderly and people with some breathing difficulties or serious respiratory problems like asthma.

Mold Hazards

Although most mold species are harmless to people‚Äôs health, the excessive level of them in our environment can cause serious problems. The most common are allergies diseases and immune system problems. In fact, many people suffer from allergic reactions to molds yet most of them don’t even realize that when the allergy occurs it is caused by fungi.

The molds that produce airborne toxins are far more dangerous. The mycotoxins, which are also neurotoxins (causing neurological damage), most commonly reach people from the air, via mold spores. They are also found in small particulates at times which may often represent mold dust, small particles of mold that has dried and turned to dust. The inhaled spores of molds that produce mycotoxins can begin to colonize in the sinuses and throughout the body, including the brain, lung and gut after a period of time.

These toxins can cause serious symptoms, such as breathing difficulties, memory and hearing loss, dizziness, symptoms resembling flu, and acid reflux. Common ailments from toxigenic mold including allergies and excessive bruising usually can be treated and reduced after people leave the contaminated environment. Often medication, diet, and other treatment protocols are necessary. However, other health problems triggered by mold may remain permanently, such as brain damage and weakened immune systems. Eyesight, memory, coordination and balance, and hearing are generally the most common residual effects that often do not improve even after treatment.

 

Place infested with mold brings threat of spores inhalation

Mold infested places bring threat of spores inhalation

Health Effects

Inhalation of mold spores may cause serious health damage. Exposure to mold is dangerous especially for infants, children, pregnant women and elderly. However, everyone should avoid excessive contact with mold spores because of their toxicity. Toxic spores, after being inhaled into the lungs, are able to enter the bloodstream and then affect the whole body.

Some visible health effects of mold exposure include different kinds of allergic reactions, eye and nose irritation, breathing difficulties, cough, headache, chronic fatigue, swelling, muscle cramps, cancer, dizziness, heart palpitations, cold-like symptoms, various infections. Some extreme cases of toxic fungi exposure include even liver damage, bleeding from lungs or, in case of pregnant women, miscarriages. The above mentioned symptoms may vary from person to person and may depend on the amount of exposure or the kind of fungal material. However, none of them should be ignored.